Cancelling and starting another PhD

Gesperrt
curious

Cancelling and starting another PhD

Beitrag von curious »

Hello everybody, sorry for writing in English but this topic is just too confused for my knowledge of German.

What I want to do:
Cancel current PhD, start doing another PhD.

What I am asking:
Do you think it is realistic to find a position?

The whole story is quite long and complicated, so I will list the most important things:
- I had work contract for two years, it has already ended, I cannot get more data
- I cannot defend the thesis (nearly finished, but not yet submitted) before publishing the paper (nearly finished... since one year)
- I cannot finish the paper by myself and other people are incredibly slow; I don't think there is any way to put them under pressure
- I disliked the project to begin with (it was not supposed to be my thesis, it was supposed to be "it could be a nice little side project for you" thing), I personally don't think it's enough material for a PhD thesis, so I agreed to this thinking "well, we will publish the paper, I will try submitting the thesis and I will see if I get the degree" - I thought I will "test" this cca in June 2016
- concerning my original thesis project, a visiting postdoc "established" a (laboratory) method that could be used to solve it... in my supervisor's opinion. In my opinion, she could not establish the method, was afraid to admit it / too stupid to realize that she is doing nonsense, and was just measuring artifacts. In any case, I could not use the method, so I did not get a contract for third year. They got another PhD student, who was also told to go after one year (he also thinks because he could not reproduce that). Still they believe that the method worked back then, which is incredible in my opinion, considering that her "treatment vs. control" data were fake (so why not everything else?).
- considering the above problem (plus the fact that I've been telling "she will never establish anything, she is too clumsy" before and I was right... and that before I spent six months trying to prove that different approach does not work and I was right again), I don't really trust all the "don't worry, you are alright (with this thesis material)" things

So I am not in a situation "I cannot finish it quickly, but I will eventually get a degree". I am in a "I might get a degree with this, but I am not sure; it will take a long time before I can try" situation.

I will try applying now and I will see. Any ideas and tips?
It will be places like Germany / cheap cities in France / Netherlands / Belgium / Denmark... not really a specific preference, I just cannot afford to pay much for a relocation now. So consider the situation in this part of Europe, not e.g. in the US.
So far I did not cancel the current PhD, but I am totally ready to do that - basically the only reason why I did not cancel it yet is "well maybe I cannot find another position anymore, so then it makes sense to give it a try, if I pursue some totally different career then putting a PhD behind my name might be useful, plus it helps when looking for an apartment".

Thanks for reading, I hope it is not more confused than necessary (but the whole thing is confused even IRL). Please share any ideas (German is OK if you are feeling lazy).
praktikum
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Re: Cancelling and starting another PhD

Beitrag von praktikum »

An Deiner Stelle würde ich mich im Graduirtenkolleg nach einer Lösung umhören bzw. die Beratungsstelle für Promovierende an Deiner Uni aufsuchen. Danach sprichst Du mit Deinem Professor über eine realistische(!) zeitnahe Lösung, damit Du mit einer Veröffentlichung und Deiner Thesis noch zum Abschluss kommst.

Es ist möglich an eine andere Uni zu gehen, aber es ist schwierig die aktuelle Thesis mitzunehmen.
curious

Beitrag von curious »

praktikum hat geschrieben: aber es ist schwierig die aktuelle Thesis mitzunehmen.
Das will ich nicht machen! :-tomate:
praktikum
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Beitrag von praktikum »

curious hat geschrieben:
praktikum hat geschrieben: aber es ist schwierig die aktuelle Thesis mitzunehmen.
Das will ich nicht machen! :-tomate:
Oh. :(
Eine neue Thesis mit neuer Stelle anzufangen ist möglich. Du hast erst 2 Jahre an einer Uni für eine PhD gearbeitet, daher sollte das kein Problem sein.
Gesperrt
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag