Decision: Accept Low PhD Offer Or Reject And Wait?

Jahresarchiv
emcor

Re: Decision: Accept Low PhD Offer Or Reject And Wait?

Beitrag von emcor »

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate honest and objective feedback.

@histosowi I personally decided to return to Germany. The other Professors I asked all have currently no position available. And I have to think about this offer now because realistically, no matter how good you are a position might just currently not be free.

@Koenigsportal Its a regular university with overall good rank, but the economics students there are really among the lowest in Germany, which I did not know when I applied. My degrees are from two technical universities.
Koenigsportal
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Beitrag von Koenigsportal »

emcor hat geschrieben:Its a regular university with overall good rank, but the economics students there are really among the lowest in Germany, which I did not know when I applied.
Why do you not see your job as a challenge to improve the standard of the departement/the students (and of your own attitude...)?!
"Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are." (Th. Roosevelt)
flip
Danksagung erhalten: 46 Mal

Beitrag von flip »

emcor hat geschrieben:Thanks for your objective answer!

The reputation of the university based on international ranking is not that bad (top100), but as you said that is rather deceiving, as for my subject (Finance) the university is known as one of the worst in Germany. I checked the profiles of the economics students and none has a notable job or experience. I know their skills because I know the degree curriculum and met some students there, they are really just "economics" with not a bright education.

Its not that I totally dont want to take this PhD, the people at my team are "ok", I am just unsure whether it would lower my qualification because I studied previously at an "elite" university. It would be really a "step back" for me. That is a totally uncertain situation for me, so I was wondering if others had a similar problem or experience with this?
Maybe you should chose another country.
Or at least relax your ranking priority.
Gesperrt
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag